HIDDEN RETREAT

Sunday, November 05, 2006

My dad is in the hospital

We had a baptism to attend last night and afterwards we decided to check out the new Sams Club/Walmart Super Center down the road. I wasnt impressed-I'm sticking with Costco. Anyway, we get home at 7:22pm and theres a message on my answering machine from my mom. "Just wanted you to know I had to take your father to the emergency room. Dont worry. I'll call you later. " Click. Now, if you're gonna leave a message, leave the details as to WHY you are in the emergency room! Dont expect me to hear the message and go, "Oh. Okay. I'll wait until you call back." . So I hit redial and got the ER operator who patched me thru. They had already checked my dad in and were taking him up to a room. I waited and soon Mom aswered. Seems Dad had a fever of 103.3 and was cold and achy. Back in 1954 he broke his leg and they put a plate in it and the legs is hot and red and they think they'll need to operate and take out that plate. Wont know more until I visit tomorrow, but he's on heavy antibiotics and pain meds. Dad is 65 years old and not in the best of health. Course, he's in better shape then Mom who's had both knees replaced in the last 3 years and has diverticulosis(sp?). And Mom was just at the hospital last week. My aunts were visiting and they decided to go out to dinner. At Sizzler, Mom got hit in the calf with the door and it punctured her leg. It gushed so bad another patron called 911. Mom refused the 1/2 mile ambulance ride to St Lukes because it would cost her $900. They drove up and walked into the ER. It took 36 some stitches to seal the wound because her skin is so fragile. And its still oozing. All of this has me REALLY examing my lifestyle and doubling my efforts to eat better and lose weight. I DO NOT want to end up like my mom. Love her, but dont want to be her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home